Sunday, November 20, 2011

Musing Mondays (Nov. 21)

This week MizB at Should Be Reading asks:

How do you decide to read a book by an author you haven’t read before? What sort of recommendations count most highly in making that decision?

 Interesting question.  I look at what people say on sites like Goodreads, various bookstores, what the podcasts that I listen to (Books On the Nightstand, Bookrageous, and The New York Times Book Review) are saying about the book, and also what various bloggers are saying about the book.  It also helps if the book catches my attention as I scroll through the various book blogs that come to my Google reader. In other words, if I see a book constantly popping up on blogs (ie The Night Circus), I am going to be probably more interested than if its a book that only shows up once or twice.

It also helps if its a genre that I usually read.  So if its paranormal YA, I am probably not going to read it, but if the book is constantly showing up various blogs and talked about in various publications and podcasts, I may just consider picking up.  I also try to make sure that I read the description of the book to see if its something that I may be interested in.   


But honestly, more often than not, its the description of the book that usually makes me want to go and read a book, as I have loved books that not a lot of people like and I have not liked books that a lot of people have liked.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I check out book blogs for recommendations too. :)
Here’s my Musing Mondays post. :)

Admin said...

I once bought a book purely for its cover, and it was one of the best books I've ever read: A Fortunate Life by A.B. Facey.

Anonymous said...

I also go off the recommendations of Goodreads.

Here's my MM: http://palmtreesbarefeet.wordpress.com/2011/11/21/musing-monday-reading-new-authors/

:)

caite said...

I get recommendations from Library Thing and always check the new book section at the library
but fellow bloggers are probably my number one source of recommendations..like I need more books..lol

Anonymous said...

I'm always checking out Goodreads now when I'm buying books ... it's so helpful!

What Strange Paradise - Omar El Akkad

 Title: What Strange Paradise ( Bookshop.org ) Author: Omar El Akkad Published: 2022 (first published 2021) Genre: Fiction, Contemporary, Li...