Sunday, October 2, 2011

Persuasion - Jane Austen

Title: Persuasion
Author: Jane Austen
Pages: 250
Published: 2003 (originally 1818)
Genre: Classics
Rating: 3.8/5

At twenty-seven, Anne Elliot is no longer young and has few romantic prospects. Eight years earlier, she had been persuaded by her friend Lady Russell to break off her engagement to Frederick Wentworth, a handsome naval captain with neither fortune nor rank. What happens when they encounter each other again is movingly told in Jane Austen’s last completed novel. Set in the fashionable societies of Lyme Regis and Bath, Persuasion is a brilliant satire of vanity and pretension, but, above all, it is a love story tinged with the heartache of missed opportunities. (via Goodreads)


Thoughts:  This was my first time reading this book and I thought it was ok, especially after reading 3 other Austen books that I enjoyed.  As I said to my book club last night during our discussion, this book felt that a little slower than Pride & Prejudice, Sense & Sensibility, and Emma because there were no secondary plot that was discernible to that of Wentworth and Anne.  I am not saying that it was a bad book, it wasn't, but I just felt that it was a lot slower than that of the three of Austen's books that I had already read.  Recommended for those that have read Austen's previous books or that enjoy reading classic literature. 


12334 / 15000 pages. 82% done!

1 comment:

Michelle Stockard Miller said...

I need to read this one. I have read P & P and S & S and loved them. Can't wait to get to the rest. Nice review!

What Strange Paradise - Omar El Akkad

 Title: What Strange Paradise ( Bookshop.org ) Author: Omar El Akkad Published: 2022 (first published 2021) Genre: Fiction, Contemporary, Li...