Sunday, September 8, 2013

Sunday Salon - Reading the week away


I love this time of year out here in the Lower Mainland.  Its weather that I usually look forward to because not only is the weather still nice, but its much cooler than it is during July and August.  But for some strange reason, there was some really stormy weather over a couple of evenings, that included a couple of lightning storms, which is unusual for this time of year, but the weather looks like its going to going to improve over the next few days and the next week or two looks like typical late summer weather, even though the leaves are clearly starting to turn.  Its also weather that I can still go outside and spend an afternoon in the sunshine working on my tan before the warmth of the sun fades into the fall and winter months before returning sometime late in spring, if it hasn't decided to rain for days on end (there is a reason that the corner of the world that I live in is called a temperate rainforest).

Due a number of factors, I basically ended up reading for most of the week.  And it was quite a productive week, in that I managed to finish not one, but two books and I started two books and worked on another.  In other words I read while I watched coverage of the US Open from Flushing Meadows and quite honestly I really liked it.  I read classics for the most part, as I wanted to get at least two of them (the one I had been reading off and on since May) and was quite please with my efforts and I managed to get both of those reviews up.

The books that I read this week but didn't complete were War & Peace, The Count of Monte Cristo, and Agnes Grey and am enjoying my foray into the classics at this time and I suppose the reason is that I spent so much time in July and August reading fairly contemporary fiction and non-fiction, that I needed to read some classics and focus on that for a bit, even though I have a contemporary piece of fiction that needs to get read by the end of the month for my book club, which I plan on starting this coming week.

The books that I finished this week are Sense & Sensibility and Moby Dick and I can't tell you how happy I am to finish Moby Dick.  The only reason that I finished MD was because I wanted to say that I had read it and not let it be this book that was forever lingering on my TBR list.

As to what holds for my reading for today, I really don't know, but I hope to work on Villette and War & Peace and catch up on my Bible readings and possibly start my book club book and maybe something else.  Hope you all have a wonderful week :)

Book Reviews:
1) Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen (review)
2) Moby Dick by Herman Melville (review)

No comments:

What Strange Paradise - Omar El Akkad

 Title: What Strange Paradise ( Bookshop.org ) Author: Omar El Akkad Published: 2022 (first published 2021) Genre: Fiction, Contemporary, Li...