Saturday, September 7, 2013

Sense and Sensiblity - Jane Austen

Title: Sense and Sensibility
Author: Jane Austen
Pages: 409
Published: 2003 (originally published 1811)
Challenges: The Classics Club
Genre: Classics, Fiction, Literature
Edition: Paperback
Source: Personal Copy

Description: Marianne Dashwood wears her heart on her sleeve, and when she falls in love with the dashing but unsuitable John Willoughby she ignores her sister Elinor's warning that her impulsive behaviour leaves her open to gossip and innuendo. Meanwhile Elinor, always sensitive to social convention, is struggling to conceal her own romantic disappointment, even from those closest to her. Through their parallel experience of love—and its threatened loss—the sisters learn that sense must mix with sensibility if they are to find personal happiness in a society where status and money govern the rules of love. (via Goodreads)

Thoughts:  Definitely one of my favourite books and classics at the same time.  This was my second time reading the book (I realize that is hard to believe, but the first time I attempted the book,  I didn't understand what was going on and abandoned it) and I actually enjoyed it more this time.  The weird part was that I had the Emma Thompson film version of the book going on in my head as I read the book.  I saw Alan Rickman as Col. Brandon and Kate Winslet as Marianne and Emma Thompson as Elinor and Hugh Grant as Edward and Hugh Laurie as Mrs. Jenning's son-in-law (this is before House), etc (if you saw the cast list, you would probably recognize a number of the cast members including the actress who played Delores Umbridge in the Harry Potter series). But in any case, I had the film running throughout and while it could be construed to be somewhat annoying (for some reason I don't see anything of the P&P mini-series when I read Pride & Prejudice).

But in any case, next to Pride & Prejudice, this has to be my favourite Austen novel.  While the book is light-hearted for the most part, the characters for the most part are better developed and I feel that the main characters change their thinking about things or at least they become better adept at realizing their own sensibilities about their particular situations.  In otherwords, I really enjoyed the book and it will likely be a book that I would visit again.

Bottom line: While Pride & Prejudice is Austen's best known work, I would have to say that I probably enjoyed this book just as much as I have reading Pride & Prejudice.  I would probably recommend this for readers that have read Pride & Prejudice and would like something that is deeper.  Highly recommended.

Rating: 4.5/5

Pages for 2013: 13454

No comments:

What Strange Paradise - Omar El Akkad

 Title: What Strange Paradise ( Bookshop.org ) Author: Omar El Akkad Published: 2022 (first published 2021) Genre: Fiction, Contemporary, Li...