Sunday, September 1, 2013

Sunday Salon - Summer Review

Even though summer isn't really over for at least another few weeks in the northern hemisphere, one is starting to feel as though it is, especially with school starting for many students in North America on Tuesday morning and the leaves starting to turn and with theatres starting to advertise the movies that are scheduled to come out during October and November.   It also means that the NFL, NHL, and the NBA are going to start within the next couple of months, with College Football just having started with the boys of summer looking forward to the stretch drive and playoffs in October and for most people, it means evenings come sooner and are generally cooler and people start looking for the clothes that were long put away that will be needed once the cooler weather starts up again.  It also means that Christmas is closing in on us and people will start be making plans for that time period.

It also means that I get back into my blogging routine, which has basically been lacking since July started.  I somehow think that July and August means a break from the blog and don't update as often, even though I have pretty decent internet.  But in any case I tend to take a bit of a break from updating my blog and I am sure most of you don't mind. 

My summer was okay and I am looking forward to getting back to work this coming week and establishing more of a routine.  Spent a lot of time up at my parent's place in a mountain resort here in BC this summer, in addition to doing a lot of reading while I was there.  A lot of my reading was due to the fact that I was laid up due to a foot injury.

Here are the books that I reviewed since my last Salon:
1) Twelfth Night by William Shakespeare (review)
2) The Sandcastle Girls by Chris Bohjalian (review)
3) Mr. Churchill's Secretary by Susan Elia MacNeal (review)
4) The Paris Wife by Paula McLain (review)
5) The Life and Times of Call the Midwife by Heidi Thomas (review)
6) The Dinner by Herman Koch (review)
7) A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin (review)
8) Dearie: The Remarkable Life of Julia Child by Bob Spitz (review)
9) Emma by Jane Austen (review)
10) Wives and Daughters by Elizabeth Gaskell (review)

No comments:

What Strange Paradise - Omar El Akkad

 Title: What Strange Paradise ( Bookshop.org ) Author: Omar El Akkad Published: 2022 (first published 2021) Genre: Fiction, Contemporary, Li...