Back to the Classics Challenge 2012
You can find the details at Sarah Reads Too Much. But essentially these are the goals that one has to complete:
• Any 19th Century Classic
• Any 20th Century Classic
• Reread a classic of your choice
• A Classic Play
• Classic Mystery/Horror/Crime Fiction
• Classic Romance
• Read a Classic that has been translated from its original language to your language - To clarify, if your native language is NOT English, you may read any classic originally written in English that has been translated into your native language.
• Classic Award Winner - To clarify, the book should be a classic which has won any established literary award.
• Read a Classic set in a Country that you (realistically speaking) will not visit during your lifetime - To Clarify, this does not have to be a country that you hope to visit either. Countries that no longer exist or have never existed count.
Here are my picks:
• 19th century classic - Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen
• 20th century classic - The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald
• Reread - Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte
• Classic Play - Romeo & Juliet by William Shakespeare
• Classic Mystery - The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins
• Classic Romance - North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell
• Classic translated from its original language to your language - Les Misérables by Victor Hugo
• Classic Award Winner - East of Eden by John Steinbeck
• Classic not set in a country that you will not visit during your lifetime - The Orestia (Ancient Greece)