Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Top Ten Tuesday Bookish Confessions


Hosted by The Broke and the Bookish, this meme is all about making book-ish lists of your “Top Ten”s!

Top Ten Bookish Confessions

1. I read while watching TV or listening to podcasts.  Maybe its not the best way of reading a book, but somehow it has become habit and one will often find me reading while I am watching TV.  Same thing goes for when listening to podcasts.  I somehow don't do well with silence.  In fact, I listened to a Canucks playoff game while taking an exam final about 10 years (still had a walkman).

2. Most of the books on my read shelf aren't mine.  For those of you who have read my blog on a regular basis know this to be a fact.  I tend to get most of my books from the library, as I don't have enough money to purchase all the books I would read over the course of a year.  Besides it keeps the library in business.

3. I don't buy books from an independent bookstore, generally.  There is a huge reason why and that is the town that I live in doesn't exactly have a great selection of bookstores.  The best bet for a new book is to go to the mall and to buy something from the bookstore in there and even then they don't have a great selection.  The other option is a used bookstore that sells a small selection of newer books, but usually they don't have what I am looking for.

4. I don't really get the whole vampire thing in YA.  I can get that some people like the genre, but honestly, it isn't my cup of tea.

5. I really didn't like Catcher in the Rye.  I read the book for my book club and in fact I wanted to punch Holden Caufield and tell him to f***** grow up!

6. I have read Lord of the Flies twice and the second time made me loathe it even more.  Yep, I did.  I read it in my Grade 11 English class and thought it was because it was an English class book that I didn't like it (had the same feeling about All Quiet on the Western Front when I read it a year later and read it later for a course in university and actually liked it).  So I gave it another shot about 10 years later and realized that it really wasn't a book meant for me.

7.  Most of the books that I own are unread.  I have about 300 books that I have personally bought and a good majority of them have sit there untouched, just waiting for me to read them.

8. What was the point of I Never Promised You A Rose Garden?  I read this book in my senior English class and never really understood (a) why our teacher had us read it and (b) the point of the book.  

9. Sometimes I like the movie cover of a book more than the original cover.  There was an article on Book Riot a few weeks back about things adults should be ashamed of.  And one of them was reading from a book with the movie cover.  Personally, saying that adults should be ashamed of reading a book with a movie cover is pretty close to book snobbery as one can get.  I can understand if you don't like your book like that, but then don't buy it and purchase the cover that you do want.

10. Sometimes the movie IS better than the book.  I can understand why most people think that the book  is better than the movie, especially after watching the last two Hunger Games movies,  but there is the odd time that the movie is better than the book.  For example, The Remains of the Day.  While the book is an excellent piece of literature and the author has a way of drawing you into that world that Stevens has lived in for the majority, if not all, of his life, I found that the movie adaptation of the book was much better in conveying the sentiment of the book, especially when it came to the flashback pieces.  While I do realize that things had been changed in the movie for whatever the reason, I did find that the book was a bit on the dry side and honestly there were times I just wanted to quit reading, but really had no choice, as I had to read it for bookclub.

What's your top ten for this week?

No comments:

What Strange Paradise - Omar El Akkad

 Title: What Strange Paradise ( Bookshop.org ) Author: Omar El Akkad Published: 2022 (first published 2021) Genre: Fiction, Contemporary, Li...