Monday, November 25, 2013

Eleanor & Park - Rainbow Rowell

Title: Eleanor & Park
Author: Rainbow Rowell
Pages: 328
Published: 2013
Challenges: Outdo Yourself
Genre: Fiction, Young Adult
Edition: Hardcover
Source: Library

Description: Set over the course of one school year in 1986, ELEANOR AND PARK is the story of two star-crossed misfits – smart enough to know that first love almost never lasts, but brave and desperate enough to try. When Eleanor meets Park, you’ll remember your own first love – and just how hard it pulled you under. (via Goodreads)

Thoughts: I honestly didn't know what to expect of this book, except that among the bloggers, it was well received and that most people that I read over the past year or heard talk about the book really quite enjoyed it and I didn't really encounter anybody that really disliked the book, but I am sure that there are readers who didn't like the book.  But my impression was that it lived up to the hype.  

I found it easier to read than I expected it to be and when I was able to get into the rhythm of the book, I actually found myself ripping through the book, wanting to know more about how they would interact with each other.  While I think that some readers will probably say that the ending was a bit of a downer, I think it was a good ending and I was satisfied with how it ended, probably a little sad that this amazing story had ended, maybe having a tiny hope that maybe it would turn out differently.

Bottom line: It was an amazing journey of these two teens and it really didn't feel like a YA book, but more of a transitional book between YA and Adult, just like Eleanor and Park were each transforming from teens into adults.  While I probably won't read this particular book again, I will definitely read more of this author and I look forward to reading Ms. Rowell's next book, Fangirl.  Highly recommended.

Rating: 4.5/5

Pages for 2013: 18,281

No comments:

What Strange Paradise - Omar El Akkad

 Title: What Strange Paradise ( Bookshop.org ) Author: Omar El Akkad Published: 2022 (first published 2021) Genre: Fiction, Contemporary, Li...