Tuesday, August 27, 2013

The Paris Wife - Paula McLain

Title: The Paris Wife
Author: Paula McLain
Pages (File Size): 368 (4043 KB)
Published: 2011
Challenges: E-Book, Historical Fiction
Genre: Historical Fiction, Fiction
Edition: E-Book
Source: Library

Description: No twentieth-century American writer has captured the popular imagination as much as Ernest Hemingway. This novel tells his story from a unique point of view - that of his first wife, Hadley. Through her eyes and voice, we experience Paris of the Lost Generation and meet fascinating characters such as Scott and Zelda Fitzgerald, Gertrude Stein, Ezra Pound, and Gerald and Sara Murphy. The city and its inhabitants provide a vivid backdrop to this engrossing and wrenching story of love and betrayal that is made all the more poignant knowing that, in the end, Hemingway would write of his first wife, "I wish I had died before I loved anyone but her." (via Goodreads)

Thoughts: I really quite liked this book and found it was something that I was unable to put down.  In addition to seeing to progress of Hadley's story, I also liked that there were links to the back of the book that explained a number of the things/people/places mentioned in the book that were of some significance to both Hadley and Ernest.  I think the most interesting thing was hearing of the books that Ernest was working on.  And quite honestly I couldn't help but read this book within a week.  Now I would really like to read A Moveable Feast and see how it measures up to this fictionalized account.

Bottom line: If you are a fan of Hemmingway's books, particularly A Moveable Feast, I would give is a try, as you see the other side of his time in Paris.  And I would also recommend it to people who want to read Hemmingway, but feel a bit intimidated by the books; its a gives one a good feel for the scene in Paris at that time.  Highly recommended.

Rating: 4.25/5

Pages for 2013: 10124

No comments:

What Strange Paradise - Omar El Akkad

 Title: What Strange Paradise ( Bookshop.org ) Author: Omar El Akkad Published: 2022 (first published 2021) Genre: Fiction, Contemporary, Li...