Sunday, July 10, 2016

My favourite non-bookish podcast Pt. 2: 20-11

I know I said that I would share this one on the 2nd of July, but for some reason, I just was unable to do so.

I love podcasts.  I love the information that I get to learn and how specific they can be.  They are my connection to something that can be explainable in a world that is somewhat not explainable.

And ever since Books on the Nightstand announced that it was saying goodbye at the beginning of June, I have thought about my favourites.  While I enjoy my bookish podcasts and they are generally the first to go if I don't enjoy the first couple of episodes, the vast majority of the podcasts that I listen to are history related (big shocker here), with a smattering of sports-related podcasts.

I have included links to the main pages of the various podcasts, so that if you aren't an iPhone user, you can check them out. And yes, all that I mention here over the next 3 days are all available in iTunes.  You can find Part 1 here.

20. The History of Philosophy Without Any Gaps

I have only recently started listened to this podcast and am really enjoying the podcast.  The host presents the history of philosophy all the way back to the ancient philosophers in nice short chunks that makes even me, who doesn't like philosophy that much, want to listen to this podcast.



19. The History of England

I have been listening to this podcast for quite sometime, probably at least for 3 or 4 years at this point.  And I have really enjoyed this podcast.  The host not only covers the political events that have shaped the history of England, but also what was happening in the society at large and also what was happening in Europe to give a  bit of context.





18. The Jonah Keri Podcast

Like I said earlier, I am a bit of a sports nut and enjoy listening to podcasts that are sports related. One of my favourites is The Jonah Keri Podcast.  Jonah is a former Grantland reporter, who has now moved to Sports Illustrated and CBS Sports.  He has interviewed a wide variety of people in the sports industry, a large majority of who are or had worked for ESPN or are baseball reporters, being as Jonah started out as a baseball reporter and has continued in the industry.  But its a fun and insightful podcast and quite enjoyable.



17.  The History of English Podcast

Like others, I can't recall how I found this one, but I think I was low on podcasts at the time and the topic interested me.  I like how Stroud presents the topic and is very informative as to how English developed.







16. Our Fake History

A really fun podcast that looks at the various myths and tries to debunk various historical myths.  Excellent listen.








15.  The Memory Palace

Basically it is short stories of the past.  Sometimes they are funny, sometimes they are sad, but they are always great.  Usually are
about 10-15 min long.







14. You Must Remember This

Explores the forgotten and/or scary stories of Hollywood's first century. The host speaks clearly and podcasts are usually about 30 minutes.  Well researched and enjoyable and can see why its a popular podcast.






13. 10 American Presidents

A look at 10 American Presidents that were influential or notable for a number of reasons.  They are also looking a 10 notable American Presidential elections as well.  They have some excellent narrators to do the various episodes.







12. History of the Great War

Looks at the Great War through the various battles that were fought. Goes through the various battles of the Great War (or WWI as we call it) in detail.  Look forward to it each week.







11. The Civil War (1861-1865): A History Podcast

A chronological look at the American Civil War, which is a particular interest of mine.  Love that the hosts ancestors were from both sides of the conflict and that they cover both sides fairly.








I apologize that this segment was late and that the descriptions are a little shorter than the first one. Hopefully I will have the last part in the next few days.

No comments:

What Strange Paradise - Omar El Akkad

 Title: What Strange Paradise ( Bookshop.org ) Author: Omar El Akkad Published: 2022 (first published 2021) Genre: Fiction, Contemporary, Li...