Sunday, September 2, 2012

Sunday Salon - August Review

August was a bit wacky, to say the least.  I didn't read/review much this month and honestly I don't feel great about the month either.

Part of it had to do with the fact that I felt a lack of motivation to read, especially reading so much during July that I wanted to just take a bit of a break and before I knew it half the month had passed me by.  A part of it also had to do with the fact that with the London Olympics going on, I didn't feel much motivation either to read; that and my days that I watched a lot of coverage didn't exactly start until about 2 p.m. Pacific, when live coverage had basically finished and there was nothing but repeats on.

My lack of reading was also partly the result of the weather, which for some strange reason couldn't decide whether it wanted to be really cruddy or really hot and couldn't for some reason be in the middle.   Also included in this factor was that I was doing quite a bit of traveling and spending time in the car.  While I can read while traveling in various modes of transportation, sometimes I can't help myself from looking out the window as the scenery changes between my hometown and where my parents live (hi mom & dad, if you are reading this), which is about 3 and a half hours.

But despite all these factors, I did manage to get a number of books done and almost hit my goal of reading 50 books within the calendar year (I have since upped it to 60 and it looks like I may make that as well).  I also hit my target of reading 15, 000 pages and am now aiming to read 20, 000 pages.

Even though it wasn't August, this week I decided to join the Wuthering Heights readalong on Unputdownables and plan on reading the Sparknotes on the book while I read so that I know what is going on (last time I read it, I couldn't make sense of the book and felt I was reading through a fog).

Hope everybody is having a relaxing weekend.

Review:
1) Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass (review)
2) Lady of Milkweed (review)

No comments:

What Strange Paradise - Omar El Akkad

 Title: What Strange Paradise ( Bookshop.org ) Author: Omar El Akkad Published: 2022 (first published 2021) Genre: Fiction, Contemporary, Li...