Sunday, August 19, 2012

Musing Mondays (Aug. 20)

This week, Miz B at Should Be Reading, asks:

Have you ever reread a book and found that your opinion changed?

Yes, I have.  I had read All Quiet on the Western Front for my Grade 12 English class and really didn't like it.  This was primarily due to the fact that my class didn't really discuss it, as we were about to take our Provincial English exam at the time and I think that the teacher was more concerned about how we would do on the exam rather than if we understood the book we were reading.  About a year later, I was taking a lower-division history course at my local university and the prof assigned All Quiet as the book we were to read that would accompany the material we were studying in class (the prof had a thing for assigning novels based on the material discussed in class for some strange reason).  And after discussing the book as a class, I actually grew to enjoy the book and found it to be one of my favourite novels.

No comments:

What Strange Paradise - Omar El Akkad

 Title: What Strange Paradise ( Bookshop.org ) Author: Omar El Akkad Published: 2022 (first published 2021) Genre: Fiction, Contemporary, Li...