Saturday, October 22, 2011

Sunday Salon - Slowly getting there

Remember this post a couple of weeks ago?  Well, one of the comments on the post had a link to some tips as to how to get over my "book slump" and was really helpful.  I think part of it was that I was probably a bit depressed and when that happens I tend to get into a funk and that funk tends to affect my reading.  Another part of the fact that I couldn't get into my books was due to the fact that I had become seriously addicted to a bunch of games on Facebook, which I have quit cold turkey on Thursday.  And quite honestly, I feel much less stress by being not playing them.  I can't say what games I will go back to and for how long it will be, but if I do go back, it will be much fewer games than the four that I was going to on a regular basis. 

What did find, at least in the first day, is that I was picking up a book instead of the computer for my entertainment, but yesterday evening and this (Saturday) morning, I found myself trolling the internet trying to find something that would occupy my mind for longer than a few seconds.  I will see what happens in the coming days.

This is all to say that I am feeling way less stress and less aggravated when it comes to my computer and realizing how much I do love reading, even if it is just a sports magazine.  I realize how hard it is to give up the games, but I think that by going cold turkey for at least a while, I can hopefully find some balance between my online life and my life offline.

Reviews:
1.  The Night Circus

2 comments:

Laurel-Rain Snow said...

I've been wanting to read The Night Circus.

I tend to become addicted to things on the web, too; blogs, Facebook, etc. I even took this to the extreme and wrote a book about a character that becomes "lost in the web." It's in pre-publication phase right now, but today I linked to a blurb about it.

Here's MY SUNDAY SALON POST and
MY WEBSITE

Anonymous said...

I don't play Facebook games that much anymore for the very reason you mentioned: to have more time to read. However, now I have another addiction: Netflix. If it's not one thing, it's another.

What Strange Paradise - Omar El Akkad

 Title: What Strange Paradise ( Bookshop.org ) Author: Omar El Akkad Published: 2022 (first published 2021) Genre: Fiction, Contemporary, Li...