Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Happy Birthday Charles Dickens!

Yet Another Period Drama Blog has put up these questions in celebration of Charles Dickens 200th birthday.  I took from a combination of Miss Laurie and Alexandra

How were you first introduced to Charles Dickens?

I was introduced to Charles Dickens through my dad who had A Christmas Carol available in his classroom.

Which Charles Dickens novels and stories have you read? Which are your favorites?

I have read:
Oliver Twist
A Tale of Two Cities
A Christmas Carol

Which Charles Dickens novel(s) do you most want to read?
I really want to read Little Dorrit, Great Expectations, David Copperfield, Bleak House  

How many Dickens adaptations have you seen?
I have seen quite a few of them, especially A Christmas Carol (1951 with Alistair Sim and 2009 from Disney).  I have also seen the BBC's adaptation of David Copperfield (1999) with Daniel Radcliffe, Maggie Smith, Bleak House (2005), Little Dorrit (2008), The Old Curiosity Shop (2007), Oliver (2007), and Nicholas Nickleby (2002).

Which Dickens adaptation is your favorite?
My favourite adaptation is the 1951 version of A Christmas Carol, but Little Dorrit is not far behind (2008).

Have you seen multiple versions of A Christmas Carol? Which version is your favorite?
 1951, but 2009 is closely behind.

1 comment:

Trish @ Love, Laughter, Insanity said...

Definitely read Great Expectations! One of my favorites. I've been in the mood to listen to Oliver Twist lately but can't settle on a narrator. Some really great ones for choices!

What Strange Paradise - Omar El Akkad

 Title: What Strange Paradise ( Bookshop.org ) Author: Omar El Akkad Published: 2022 (first published 2021) Genre: Fiction, Contemporary, Li...