Saturday, September 17, 2011

True Grit - Charles Portis

Title: True Grit
Author: Charles Portis
Pages: 235
Published: 2010 (originally 1968)
Genre: Western
Rating: 4/5

True Grit tells the story of Mattie Ross, who is just fourteen years of age when a coward going by the name of Tom Chaney shoots her father down in Fort Smith, Arkansas, and robs him of his life, his horse, and $150 in cash. Mattie leaves home to avenge her father's blood. With the one-eyed Rooster Cogburn, the meanest available U.S. Marshal, by her side, Mattie pursues the homicide into Indian Territory. (via Goodreads)


Thoughts: I quite enjoyed it, especially since the most recent film version of True Grit follows the book more closely than the John Wayne version, even though I haven't seen that particular version.  Anyways, I really liked this book, but once you view the movie, the book is basically ruined and therefore took me awhile to actually finish it.  Its not that its a bad book, its actually quite good, but its just that the Cohen Brothers took way too much from the book.  But all that being said, I really enjoyed the book and would highly recommend the book to anybody who either has read a western or hasn't read a western.



11764 / 15000 pages. 78% done!

1 comment:

Michelle Stockard Miller said...

I bought this one awhile back. I've heard it was really good. I haven't ever been a fan of Westerns, but I decided to make an exception with this one. Now, just to get around to reading it!

What Strange Paradise - Omar El Akkad

 Title: What Strange Paradise ( Bookshop.org ) Author: Omar El Akkad Published: 2022 (first published 2021) Genre: Fiction, Contemporary, Li...