Friday, January 27, 2012

Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone - J.K. Rowling

Title: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
Author: J.K. Rowling
Publisher: Bloomsbury
Pages: 332
Published: 2004 (originally published in 1997)
Challenges: 2012 Harry Potter Reading Challenge
Genre: Young Adult, Fantasy
Edition: Paperback and audiobook
Source: Purchased and library
Rating: 5/5

When a letter arrives for unhappy but ordinary Harry Potter, a decade-old secret is revealed to him. His parents were wizards, killed by a Dark Lord's curse when Harry was just a baby, and which he somehow survived. Escaping from his unbearable Muggle guardians to Hogwarts, a wizarding school brimming with ghosts and enchantments, Harry stumbles into a sinister adventure when he finds a three-headed dog guarding a room on the third floor. Then he hears of a missing stone with astonishing powers which could be valuable, dangerous, or both. (via blurb on book)

Thoughts: I read this book while listening to the audio at the same time and I while I had thought I had read the book, I really hadn't, as I found passages in the book that I had basically glanced over the first four or five times that I have read this book.  I can't exactly recall what I missed, but there were quite a few portions of the book that I clearly had missed as I listened to the book.  As to the book, what can't I say?  I really enjoyed it and thought the book there was a sense of the magical and the fantastical throughout the book.  I read this book as a part of the 2012 Harry Potter Reading Challenge.

Bottom line: Very enjoyable and definitely something that I think that most people will enjoy reading; its definitely something that can quickly be read by most readers.

Page total for 2012: 1266

No comments:

What Strange Paradise - Omar El Akkad

 Title: What Strange Paradise ( Bookshop.org ) Author: Omar El Akkad Published: 2022 (first published 2021) Genre: Fiction, Contemporary, Li...