Friday, May 13, 2011

Teen Readers

I just watched an interesting segment on CBC's The National that said that reading amongst teens is up about 40%.  I can't recall the amount of years that they did the survey over, but it was at least the last 10 years.  Part of the reason that they cited in the report was the fact that YA fiction has taken on more of an adult tone and deals more of what teens and pre-teens are going through and is much more realistic than the teen and tween books that I read growing up.  No Babysitters Club and Sweet Valley Twins for these kids.  Even I have noticed it while working in an elementary school library.  The books seem to be more complex than what I grew up with and I hope that these teen readers continue to read into their adult years.

1 comment:

Kaitlyn Devin and Grace said...

I LOVED Sweet Valley Twins and Babysitters CLub :) But I am glad that teen reading is up, whatever the cause!

-Kate the Book Buff
The Book Buff: Book Reviews for Regular People
http://www.thebookbuff.blogspot.com

What Strange Paradise - Omar El Akkad

 Title: What Strange Paradise ( Bookshop.org ) Author: Omar El Akkad Published: 2022 (first published 2021) Genre: Fiction, Contemporary, Li...