Sunday, July 15, 2012

Sunday Salon - Historical fiction

I first read historical fiction when I was about 7 or 8, when I was introduced to the Little House on the Prairie books.  From then on, I was addicted.  From there I moved to the Betsy and Tracy books by Maud Hart Lovelace and the books by Kit Pearson, especially the Guests of War Trilogy and The Daring Game, which I both thoroughly enjoyed and still enjoy to this day.

But it seemed to me that for a number of years that there wasn't much in the way of historical fiction for adults, unless you count the amount of Christian fiction that seems to use the historical fiction backdrop quite a bit.  But other than that, I found the historical fiction area to be lacking.  Maybe it was because I couldn't find anything that I liked or just wanted something in a specific period or that I am just a little too fussy when it comes to the books that I like to read.


So in the last year, I have found that the quality of historical fiction has been improving.  The stories have improved and seem to be a bit more realistic and the writing has also improved.  But of course maybe I just wasn't as interested in the material being published in the general market.  So I guess I want to ask is that has anybody else noticed the quality of historical fiction increase lately?

Reviews:
1) I've Got Your Number by Sophie Kinsella (review)

No comments:

What Strange Paradise - Omar El Akkad

 Title: What Strange Paradise ( Bookshop.org ) Author: Omar El Akkad Published: 2022 (first published 2021) Genre: Fiction, Contemporary, Li...