All things being said, I did complete this one last year and can hardly believe it (guess I really do like chunksters). And yes, I am going to be doing this one again this year as well.
Here are the details for the challenge:
Definition of a chunkster:
A chunkster is 450 pages or more of ADULT literature, whether non-fiction or fiction. A chunkster should be a challenge.
If you read books in large print, your books will need to be 525 pages or more. The average large type book is 10-15% larger or more so it’s a fair estimate.
- No audio books. (There are exceptions to this rule.)
- No e-books allowed. This was discussed in much detail in the 2011 challenge. The short version: a chunkster isn’t a challenge if you’re reading it on an e-reader. (There are exceptions to this rule.)
- Essay, poetry, and short story collections will be allowed. Collections have to be read in their entirety to count. If you’ve needed a reason to finally pick up your copy of The Collected Works Of ____ now is the time.
- Books may crossover with other challenges.
- Anyone may join. (If you don’t have a blog, just leave a comment on this post with your challenge level and your progress throughout the challenge.)
- You don’t need to list your books ahead of time.
- Once you’ve picked a level, that’s it. You’re committed to it!
You must pick a level of participation:
- The Chubby Chunkster – this option is for the readers who want to dabble in large tomes, but really doesn't want to commit to much more than that. FOUR Chunksters is all you need to finish this challenge.
- The Plump Primer - this option is for the slightly heavier reader who wants to commit to SIX Chunksters over the next twelve months.
- Do These Books Make my Butt Look Big? - this option is for the reader who can't resist bigger and bigger books and wants to commit to SIX Chunksters from the following categories: 2 books which are between 450 - 550 pages in length; 2 books which are 551 - 750 pages in length; 2 books which are GREATER than 750 pages in length (for ideas, please refer to the book suggestions page for some books which fit into these categories).
- Mor-book-ly Obese - This is for the truly out of control chunkster. For this level of challenge you must commit to EIGHT or more Chunksters of which three tomes MUST be 750 pages or more. You know you want to.....go on and give in to your cravings.
1. Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoyevsky (720 pages)
2. The Chalice by Nancy Bilyeau (496 pages)
3. The Help by Kathryn Stockett (522 pages)
4. A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin (837 pages)
5. Emma by Jane Austen (512 pages)
6. Moby Dick by Herman Melville (640 pages)