Friday, November 2, 2012

Home - Toni Morrison

Title: Home
Author: Toni Morrison
Pages: 160
Published: 2012
Genre: Literary fiction, Historical fiction, African-American literature
Challenges: 2012 Support Your Library, 2012 Historical Fiction
Edition: Hardcover
Source: Library

Description: An angry and self-loathing veteran of the Korean War, Frank Money finds himself back in racist America after enduring trauma on the front lines that left him with more than just physical scars. His home--and himself in it--may no longer be as he remembers it, but Frank is shocked out of his crippling apathy by the need to rescue his medically abused younger sister and take her back to the small Georgia town they come from, which he's hated all his life. As Frank revisits the memories from childhood and the war that leave him questioning his sense of self, he discovers a profound courage he thought he could never possess again. A deeply moving novel about an apparently defeated man finding himself--and his home. (via Goodreads)

Thoughts: This was my first Toni Morrison book and I am glad I started out with a shorter novel instead of reading something that I may have given up on.  I had heard good things about the book and thought I would give a chance.  Overall, I quite enjoyed the book and while I was reading the book, I was able to get lost in that world to the point that I know that I glazed over some parts of the book (I also had to get the book back to the library, otherwise I  would have gone back and re-read some parts).  I like how Morrison enveloped me into the story and made me like I was actually there, like I was with Frank on his journey.

The only complaint I have about the book is that it was almost too short.  It felt like it was something could have been a little longer than it actually was and like something that should be re-read to effectively understand the book.

Bottom line: I would recommend this book to those that have enjoyed Morrison's books in the past or for those that are wanting to read something of her's and unsure of whether to venture into her work.

Rating: 3.375/5

Pages for 2012: 19425


No comments:

What Strange Paradise - Omar El Akkad

 Title: What Strange Paradise ( Bookshop.org ) Author: Omar El Akkad Published: 2022 (first published 2021) Genre: Fiction, Contemporary, Li...