Tuesday, October 20, 2015

Port of No Return - Michelle Saftich #historicalfiction #Italy #WW2

Title: Port of No Return
Author: Michelle Saftich
Pages: 238
Published: 2015
Challenges: Historical Fiction
Genre: Historical Fiction
Edition: Paperback
Source:  ARC; I received this book for an honest review from Italy Book Reviews

Description: Contessa and Ettore Saforo awake to a normal day in war-stricken, occupied Italy.

By the end of the day, their house is in ruins and they must seek shelter and protection wherever they can. But the turbulent politics of 1944 refuses to let them be. 

As Tito and his Yugoslav Army threaten their German-held town of Fiume, Ettore finds himself on a list for execution and running for his life. His wife and children must also flee. 

Ettore and Contessa’s battle to find each other, and the struggle of their family and friends to rebuild their lives, provide a rich and varied account of displaced people in war-torn Europe.

What can you do when you have nowhere left to call home? Port of No Return considers this question and more in a novel that is full of action, pain and laughter -- a journey you will want to see through to the very end. (via Publisher)

Thoughts: This book has been sort of simmering for  me since I completed the book over the weekend and as I have thought about the book, I could see my maternal father's parents going through a similar experience as the Saforo's go through.  I liked how the characters felt real and hence  I feel an affinity to the main characters.  I can't imagine what my great-grandparents went through when fleeing Stalinist Russia in 1926 to a country they barely knew anybody and a language they didn't know how to speak.  Like my maternal great-grandparents, I can't imagine the agonizing decision that the Saforo's had to go through.

I quite enjoyed the book and by allowing it to filter a bit, I was able to empathize with the decision that the parents had to make and would recommend this book to those that enjoy historical fiction and those that would like to have something that isn't typical of the Italian immigrant experience.  Recommended.

Author's Bio:

Michelle Saftich is a first-time author who resides in Brisbane, Australia.  She holds a Bachelor of Business/Communications Degree, majoring in journalism, from the Queensland University of Technology (QUT).

For the past 20 years, she has worked in communications, including print journalism, sub-editing, communications management and media relations. She is married with two children.

Connect with the author:   Website    Facebook    Twitter

Giveaway:
I am also doing a giveaway and it is open internationally.
Prizes:

Win 1 of 5 copies of Port of No Return & 1 $30 Amazon gift card
(open internationally)

No comments:

What Strange Paradise - Omar El Akkad

 Title: What Strange Paradise ( Bookshop.org ) Author: Omar El Akkad Published: 2022 (first published 2021) Genre: Fiction, Contemporary, Li...