Happy New Year! (and to new reading resolutions)

First off, I want to wish everybody who is reading this a happy new year and that hopefully things will be better for you and yours for the coming year.  Of course nobody knows what the future holds, but I suppose one can hope that things will be better, if only slightly.

Onto my reading resolutions.  I make both general and reading resolutions each year and hopefully try to hold true to it.  And as usual, I fall short.  But I hope with this entry I can get my reading goals accomplished as much as possible.

My first one is to read 50 books for the year.  This has be a resolution that I have had for the past 4 years and have fallen short every year.   I managed to read at least 38 books this year, which for me is actually quite a good number, considering I had times where I wasn't reading much or didn't read much at all or didn't feel like reading.

Related to my first goal, my second goal this year to read 15,000 pages.  I believe I got close one year, but this year I really want to see how close to that goal that I can get.  It does seem daunting to read that amount, but I read once that if you average about 45 pages a day, you can easily do it.

Thirdly, I want to decrease my TBR pile this year.  This seems to be a common goal for a lot of people, but I really want to get a number off the pile so I can enjoy the new selections that come along.

Fourthly, I want to read more of my own books rather than borrow more from the library.  This may not happen, but I certainly want to make sure that it does.   I also want to decrease the amount of books that I do purchase and only purchase books that I really want to own and to also to make sure that I support my local library system, other than through my late fees.

The sixth book resolution that I have for the coming year is to finish challenges that I have signed up for, including the read-a-longs that I am currently involved with.

Next, I would like to read through the Bible this year.  This is something that I have been wanting to do for years and for some reason I either start too late or I just don't do.  While this could be more of a personal goal, it is also a reading goal and as a Christian, I feel it is important to read the Bible on an consistent basis.

Lastly, I just want to enjoy reading for the sake of reading.  I often read a book because I feel the need to finish the book.  And often I do enjoy the book, but often I get bogged down in the details of the book that I can't just enjoy the book for what it is meant to be: entertainment.

Hope you and yours have a wonderful new year and I look forward to talking more about books and reading in the coming months.

Comments

Susan said…
Sounds like you have some great resolutions. Good luck with them!

Popular posts from this blog

My favourite non-bookish podcast Pt. 1: 30 - 21

Dreaming Sophia - Melissa Muldoon

The Munich Girl - Phyllis Edgerly Ring