Sunday, January 18, 2015

The Age of Innocence - Edith Wharton

Title: The Age of Innocence
Author: Edith Wharton
File Size (Pages): 1.5 MB (210)
Published: 2012 (first published 1920)
Challenges: Back to the Classics, Classics Club, E-Book, Eclectic Reader
Genre: Classics
Edition: E-book
Source: Personal

Description: The Age of Innocence is the haunting story of the struggle between love and duty in Gilded Age New York told through the eyes of Newland Archer and his betrothed, May Welland. A young lawyer on the rise, Newland Archer needs only a society wife to solidify his position, but finds himself torn after he meets and falls deeply in love with May’s disgraced cousin, the Countess Olenska. (via Goodreads)

Thoughts: This was a book I had wanted to read for sometime and had also borrowed from the library the film that was directed by Martin Socrsese.  

I was a little disappointed with the story itself, in that I felt that the characters were superficial and therefore did not really care for the characters nor did I feel any sort of sympathy for them.  I also felt that the story was simplistic and thought that it could have been a bit more complex than it actually was.

Bottom line: I felt that the book was okay and did not exactly wow me.  I would probably start with something else by Wharton, but since I put this book in my Classics Club Spin list, it was what I ended up reading.  Recommended.

Rating: 2.5/5

Pages for 2015: 897

No comments:

What Strange Paradise - Omar El Akkad

 Title: What Strange Paradise ( Bookshop.org ) Author: Omar El Akkad Published: 2022 (first published 2021) Genre: Fiction, Contemporary, Li...