Wednesday, October 16, 2013

The Book Thief - Markus Zusak

Title: The Book Thief
Author: Markus Zusak
Pages: 550
Published: 2007 (first published 2005)
Challenges: OfftheShelf, TBR Pile, Historical Fiction, Book Blogger Recommendation
Genre: Fiction, Historical Fiction, Young Adult
Edition: Paperback
Source: Personal Library

Description: It is 1939. Nazi Germany. The country is holding its breath. Death has never been busier, and will become busier still.

Liesel Meminger is a foster girl living outside of Munich, who scratches out a meager existence for herself by stealing when she encounters something she can’t resist–books. With the help of her accordion-playing foster father, she learns to read and shares her stolen books with her neighbors during bombing raids as well as with the Jewish man hidden in her basement. (via Goodreads)


Thoughts: There are a few times in which I have taken a few days to read a book and this is one of those times when no other book really mattered.  While I did listen to the audio while I read the book, it was no less amazing, in fact I think it added to the enjoyment of the book.  Reading the book while listening to the audio of the book made me feel like I was listening to a piece of poetry that was in prose format.  

I don't really know how to describe how much I enjoyed this book; it was almost like was too good at times and allowed me to feel as though I was really there seeing and experiencing what Liesel was seeing and experiencing.  And as I was getting closer to the end of the book, I could see why other readers have really enjoyed reading this book.  And yes, I understand the point of the dominoes, at least after reading it (and no I am not giving it away) and wonder why the publisher put the dice on the front cover (curious thought don't you think?) instead of maybe some books or maybe an accordion (read the book to understand why)...

Anyways I loved the book and am curious to see how the screenwriter for the film adapted the book and how much of the book is in the film and how they do Death, who is basically heard throughout the book.  Probably will become one of those books that I remember for a long time, even if I don't read it a lot, much like Jacob Have I Loved and Jane Eyre have become to me over the years.

Bottom line: I really liked this book and probably would recommend to those readers that enjoy historical fiction YA books, but I think its also a book that general readers of fiction would also enjoy.  I think that this is a book that probably would appeal to a number of readers and not just one specific type of reader.  Highly Recommended.

Rating: 5/5 (would probably rate it higher, if I was rating books higher)

Pages for 2013: 16,176

No comments:

What Strange Paradise - Omar El Akkad

 Title: What Strange Paradise ( Bookshop.org ) Author: Omar El Akkad Published: 2022 (first published 2021) Genre: Fiction, Contemporary, Li...